Friday, March 14, 2008

...but you turn right over to the TV page

I work in a call center environment. In this call center, we have TV's attached to the ceiling every few rows that are there to show us our "statistics" throughout the day. Things like how many people are waiting, how long they've been waiting etc. Lately they've just been off because I think the software system used to track the info was messed up.

Well that was until today. And no, they weren't turned on because they fixed the software. It's because the ACC basketball tournament is on.

Now you may think this is silly, but I would go as far as to say that 90% of the employees here are fans of either Virginia Tech, UVA, UNC, or Duke. Don't worry, the other 10% just don't care about sports.

Now I will be the first to admit that I am a sports junkie and I'm quite happy that this is the only time of the year that they think it's necessary to have the TV on to something other than scrolling numbers. In fact, the only other time I've seen the TVs turned to anything other than the ACC/NCAA tournaments was on Election Day in 2004 so we could watch the real "Red vs Blue" battle go down.

I'm sure the TVs will be on again next Thursday and Friday as the opening round of the NCAA tournament gets underway, but as much as I love sports I have to wonder why is this universally accepted as being ok to watch yet we can't watch CNN or any type of news channel to keep up with what's going on in the world?

Maybe they've come to realize that we spend our time on the internet anyways and don't need to have yet another distraction.

Whatever the case may be, for four days in March the afternoons at work seem to just disappear.

1 comment:

The Running Couple said...

In my job I do a fair ammount of driving, and my favorite radio stations have given themselves over to basketball coverage during the day.
I'm one of the 10% who don't care, but I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in having my usual routine interrupted.
Go Mets!

-Ward