Saturday, March 8, 2008

Drop, drop, dropping it down...oh, so gently...

So we're both fairly big Nine Inch Nails fans. Not just for the music (even though he was nice enough to release an album the day our son was born), but because of the ways that Trent Reznor finds to be on the cutting edge and fan-friendly at the same time. Now I'm not going to go on and on about the details (that's what Google is for), but he recently followed the blueprint that Radiohead laid out last year and is going digital with his new album.


Well, sorta...


One look at the order page will show you that you have options. Now don't get me wrong, we all know the real selling point of the sold-out $300 version was getting Trent's autograph, but are you telling me that's the only way I can get the vinyl?


Now being a big Pearl Jam fan, I've become used to the fact that vinyl isn't as dead as everyone might think, as some of their vinyl that was originally free for fan club members or sold on their website for under $50 now sells for around $500.


I realize that I'm in the minority when it comes to still appreciating vinyl and I can understand the nature of wanting to make something very limited and unique for your fans, but isn't that what the autograph is for? For all I know he could plan on issuing a standard vinyl pressing at some point but for now it appears that this was the only way to get it and I just feel that the majority of the fans who paid the $300 could really care less about the vinyl.


But hey, it also includes the high-def Blu-Ray version so you can truly experience both ends of the audio spectrum, which is ironic because I think the only group of audiophiles smaller than those that still listen to vinyl are the ones with true high-def Blu-Ray audio capabalities.

1 comment:

Chris and Erin said...

Ok, so I guess I jumped the gun a bit on complaining about the vinyl. I just got an email informing me that a 4LP set will be available on 4/8.