Saturday, March 22, 2008

Just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read

So maybe I should start saving some of these for days I have nothing else to talk about, but with tomorrow being Easter and all I figured I'd make up for it since I don't foresee having much spare time with family functions and all to contribute here.

Anyways, I came across a thread on a message board recently that I found interesting and just challenging enough to spend a few minutes on. If you're not a "list" person you probably want to stop now. But if you're one of those people that would come up with all sorts of "Top 10" lists while sitting through class then you might have fun with it. So here's the deal...

List your all-time favorite bands A-Z.

Now before you think that this sounds stupid, it's actually a great way to compile a list of artists that you like in a very unbiased way. No decades. No genre. Just one per letter.

Do you like 20 bands that start with "S" more than one that starts with "Z"? Probably, but therein lies the fun. The only rule I like to stick by is to be consistent on whether you use a first or last name of an artist. For example, one guy put Bob Dylan under "B" and Neil Young under "Y" because I don't think he was much of a Yes or Yo La Tengo fan.

But the point is to have fun with it so if you have to cheat then so be it. So without further delay, I share with you my list of my absolute, all-time, most excellent artists for every letter of the alphabet. I am aware of some glaring omissions, but I think this most accurately represents what I would actually listen to (for today at least).

Adams, Ryan
Black Crowes, The
Cure, The
Dylan, Bob
Eels, The
Flaming Lips, The
Guns N' Roses
Hendrix, Jimi
INXS
Jane's Addiction
King's X
Led Zeppelin
Metallica
Nine Inch Nails
Oasis
Pearl Jam
Queen
R.E.M.
Smashing Pumpkins, The
Tool
U2
Velvet Underground, The
Wilco
XTC
Young, Neil
ZZ Top

Now do I REALLY like ZZ Top? No. But I like them more than Frank Zappa, so there we go.

1 comment:

The Running Couple said...

We are working on our lists now, they should be posted by the end of the weekend.

I think I'm gonna do a movie list too.

-Ward